Tuesday, January 17, 2012

...thoughts and deas keep running through my head...

As some of you know, I am currently teaching band at a charter school (K-9 campus) in Draper. There have been some interesting adjustments to make, but overall it has been a huge growing and learning experience.

Recently, there was another incident in which someone wanted to store yet another thing in the band room that did not belong there. I threw a small tantrum, and it ended up being moved. As I have thought back on the matter and talked with some colleagues, I have come to the realization that there really is not enough space in this building to accommodate all of its occupants.

I began thinking of building additions to the existing building. I was informed that there is not enough land left around the perimeter for this to happen. I tried thinking that if we built on top of the building, that it could work. My coworker mentioned the idea of building an entirely new building. Her point was that the location and existing building are great, but not enough for the current numbers, and that a second building (more specifically a junior high/high school building) would be a more practical solution.

As I was pondering this, a different coworker brought up the idea that I should even think of applying elsewhere, getting a salary rather than part time hourly wage, so that I could pay off my student loans faster and become more financially independent. Though I would hate to leave here, she does have a bit of a point.

Anyway...that's what is on my mind right now. Well, all that I have time to write. I have rehearsal soon. What are your thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. What is keeping you tied to your current job? Sentimental bonds? A feeling that you would be letting someone down?

    I may be missing the point completely but our own personal growth should take precedence over others when it is no way harming them. I think that moving on to a bigger pond would be wonderful for you, and imagine how many more students you could affect!

    ReplyDelete