Monday, October 25, 2010

Unfounded Discrimination



I had quite the experience last night at a ward function. I'll share what I can with you...

I went to ward prayer, a fairly normal evening activity for single Latter Day Saints. Because of all the boundary changes that have been happening lately, I am still meeting new people on a regular basis. There was a person I didn't know sitting next to one of my friends (T.), and he overheard me telling T. that I am from Riverton. Immediately he had a disgusted look on his face and a haughty tone in his voice as he said, "Oh." Puzzled, I asked where he was from, and he proudly told me that he was from West Jordan, and attended West Jordan High School.

Last time I was in school, I was unaware that there was a big rivalry between Riverton and West Jordan. I had always been under the impression that our big rivals were Bingham, Copper Hills, and Alta. AND...the fact that it still bothered him now that we are both in college seemed slightly ridiculous.

Just wait, it gets better...



Through more discussion with T. and other people at this function, it came out that I'm a member of the Aggie Marching Band. This person matter-of-factly told me that he hated me. Again, puzzled, I asked why he could already hate someone he had just barely met.

It wasn't the color of my skin, it wasn't my sexual orientation, it wasn't my religion, it wasn't my political stance. He hates me for the sole reason that I am a member of the Aggie Marching Band.



I asked him what in the world he had against the band, and he promptly explained that he is one of the people who takes care of the football fields, and that we constantly tear holes in them. Reflecting on my marching band experience at Utah State, I informed him that we rehearse on a parking lot outside of the stadium, and therefore could not possibly be committing the crime that he accused us of. He said very quickly, "Not on Friday". Friday was our dress rehearsal, if you will. We had been allowed ONE DAY to march on something besides asphalt before our performance for the homecoming game. When I tried to explain this, he interjected with even more hatred that he also hated that we march in the same spots for every pregame and half time show, and that he gets "chewed out" because of us.



Needless to say, I wanted nothing more to do with this person who had so rudely expressed his contempt for someone he had just met for two ridiculous reasons - where I attended high school and the organization that I am proud to be a member of.



As I was reflecting on this, I remembered many students being shocked to learn that USU actually had a marching band. I also remembered some things I have learned over the years about the athletics program here - such as the fact that my tuition and student fees are being used to feed, transport, house, and "educate" the athletes of this institution. In thinking of this, I remembered that I had to fight to get a single dollar of student fees to go toward the marching band fund so that we could function and so we could get new instruments and uniforms. When I was a freshman, we wore uniforms that had been purchased in the 1980's that were falling apart and smelled like a nursing home, and had instruments that were in just as bad, if not worse shape.

Something is wrong with this picture.



I wanted to take a moment and express that I am proud to be from Riverton, UT, and I am also VERY proud to be a member of the Aggie Marching Band. Being a member of that organization has taught me more than any other class I have taken on this campus about how to deal with people, solve problems, and discipline myself to become better. I have also met some of my dearest and closest friends, had invaluable leadership opportunities, and more because of this group that many people don't realize exists.

To those who have never experienced the comradery and satisfaction that comes from being a part of a musical organization, I am so sorry. You have missed out on more than you will ever know.

To those who are still stuck in high school rivalries now that you are a returned missionary and employed by a university, I am also sorry. I hope that one day you can move beyond that.

To those who tell someone you hate them before you even learn their name, I am the most sorry. Soon you will be friendless, lonely, and will continue to be ignorant and uneducated when it comes to things that really matter.

That is all for now.

1 comment:

  1. Holy cow! I don't believe that! I wish I could have been there to set that guy straight. I really wonder why he thinks that the band (who simply walks around in the stadium once in a great while) is the one tearing it up, while the football team is running, falling, and tackling each other there all the time. And if his employer is chewing him out for it, there is either some part of his job that he is not doing, or the employer is very misguided in thinking this guy is messing up the stadium. And I just have to say that the Aggie Marching Band is the most disciplined and respectful group on campus. Amen.

    ReplyDelete